Friday, February 27, 2009

No more school, no more books no more teachers dirty Looks!

Is it summer yet? This week has been a doozy. With Todd in middle school, I though that maybe my days of standing over him and helping with homework would be diminished. It has actually escalated ten fold (is that a scripture reference or just a literary one?) This week we have had one paper that took "us" 5 hours to do even though it only had to be two pages long. We then had a social studies project in the midst of vocabulary, spelling, and memorizing the capitals of South American countries, and other various school assignments. The SS project (for the social studies fair) he decided to do on how your economic choices of today can affect your future. "We" searched the web. As a side note on that. I don't let the kids just randomly search the web. I try to help narrow down the words that they should use etc. You just never know what will pop up and I keep trying to point out that they should look at the web address before clicking on the link because Target.com will not help them with social studies. So I did a lot of the research and then printed the pages so that he could read them and highlight the things that he thought was important- Side note done. This project had to have some stupid abstract with it that had to be on the form that they presented so I spent the day while he was at school getting this form onto the computer so that he could put the information in it when he got home. I also typed up the information that he had already compiled and written. We spent the first night make a mach up drawing of how we wanted to lay our the information on the tri-fold board-which I made a special trip to Walmart to get because I forgot it when I went to buy groceries (Remembered to buy math notebooks, treasure chest items, glue stick, tissues, hand sanitizer, and stickers for the other kids classes). We worked on it every day this week and then was up until 11:00 last night finishing it. I all have to say this morning is that we had better get an A! Who thought up a Social studies fair anyway-They must have been jealous of all the science people because they had a fair (which we have already finished thank heavens.) I AM DONE!!!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I spent two days researching and editing and laying out a fictional newspaper about the expansion of the railroads for Natalie's social studies class last year. I FEEL your pain!

Matt said...

I hated school projects... especially at the age where I couldn't do them on my own... for some reason. Btw, your little banner thing at the top covers up 2 lines of your blog... every time.

mle said...

Yuck! I don't want to ever do the homework thing... And the banner is fine when I view it on my computer. :)

Tami said...

The banner is fine on this computer (Jer's laptop). I hate the thought of school projects. I agree with Matt. They are worse when you can't do them yourself yet.