Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What a weekend

Labor Day Weekend. It seems like it was about a week long. It was divided into so many different parts that I have a hard time wrapping my head around all of them. It started out normal enough. Saturday we worked in the yard to get in ready for fall and winter. I love plants and I love watching them grow and bloom. Steve bought me a new rose bush because they were on clearance for only 3 bucks. (Normally around $20). So that day went normal.
Sunday I got called into the principals office.....no I mean branch president's office and they asked me to be the new 2nd counselor in the Relief Society. I am actually really excited. I have been in primary for over 3 years and I was kind of looking for a change. People kept coming up and congratulating me on my new calling which is kind of weird considering that I wasn't running for office. I understand that there isn't really a word for when someone gets a new calling that is kind of exciting. Maybe I will have to make one up one of these days.
The major catastrophe happened on Monday. When we went out to clean out the garage and found three tiny kittens hiding behind our stack of pavers. All of you who know me know how much I just LOVE animals of all kinds but especially cats. They were extremely cute and Hannah of course immediately fell in love with them. We caught them all and put them in a box with a blanket and some water and then started calling around to see what to do with them. We found out the animal control does not take cats and the shelter here was full. So now what.... Hannah's suggestion of just keeping them was not the solution. We decided we were just going to have to let them go (which wasn't ideal but....) Hannah just about fell apart. To make a long stressful story short our neighbors decided that they would take them and keep them in their unfinished basement until we could find homes for them. Hannah stayed with the Kitties until it was time for bed. There were many tears shed and I was called mean on several occasions, but it was resolved. They made it through the night last night and of course my neighbors kids have now claimed at least one of the cats as their own. Hannah will be going over there after school to further take care of them. The question is How did I get an animal lover as My child?
TTFN

5 comments:

mle said...

Hahahahaaaa! Oh, that is just perfect. You with cats!! I had to laugh out loud. Poor little Hannah. :)

Todd said...

I think maybe the right word for callings should be a combination of congratulations and commiserations, maybe congraterations, or commitulations.......I think commitulations would work because just looking at it, you might think that the person should be committed to some insane asylum, or at least they will be once they figure out what they have to do for the calling. Another appropriate response might be to just point and laugh, and then tell them "better you than me"....

I would have thought the cats would be perfect for target practice with Steve's young men.....targets of love and devotion that is.

Anonymous said...

Julie-you have to understand that it was inevitable that at least 1 of your children would be an animal lover-especially cats-after all, ALL of the immediate Vorhauer families have cats-some more than others-think Larry and Georgia:8 at last count and we haven't checked in with them for awhile.
Anyway, glad they are being taken care of. And hope they get adopted by closeby neighbors for Hannah's sake. I am fending off Sarah's request for just one more!
Love, Mom V :-)

Tami said...

Kittens are so cute, but then they grow up! You can always tell Hannah you sent them to the Disneyland for Cats...

Louise said...

Ah Ah Ah Choo! Sniff, sniff.