Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Seth's Adventure in the Ambulance continued


So we left off with Steve getting to the hospital in DC. The neurosurgeon and the neurologist came to talk with us. They had reviewed the CT scan that had been done and said that it looked like he had sublaxation of the C1 and C2 (or in layman's terms dislocated vertebrae in his spine) This meant that they would need to put him in traction to try and get the bones back into place. Because he is so little they would have to put him to sleep deep enough that he would essentially be paralyzed. This would also require him to be incubated and kept on a respirator. They would then have to decide whether he would have to wear a halo (which requires holes being drilled into their skull) Needless to say we were extremely worried at this point. They wanted to get another CT scan with his collar on to make sure that there wasn't a mistake. At that point it was midnight and I was exhausted. My sister Emily (who lives about 15 minutes away in Arlington VA) came to get me and I went home with her to try and get some sleep. Steve stayed with Seth and they went to get another CT scan. The new scan still showed that the bones were not in place so they admitted him to the ICU. In the morning the neuro team came to talk to Steve. They said that they had been comparing the two CT scans done and they saw some differences between them. Because of these differences it was leading them to believe that the muscles in his neck were spasming and and pulling thus causing the bones to move. They wanted to observe him and give him some muscle relaxers and see what happened. This was really good news, but they still weren't sure and so we waited and waited and waited..... We were still in ICU because they didn't have a regular room available. ICU requires the kids to be constantly monitored. Seth had so many wires coming from him that it made it hard to him to move around. We spent all day Tuesday trying to keep him occupied and hoping that everything was going to turn out to be muscles spasms. He was hooked up to an IV because he hadn't been allowed to eat just in case. Tuesday afternoon they decided that they didn't need to do an MRI so they unhooked the fluids and allowed him to eat. He spent the next hour eating everything that we put in front of him.
Since we were supposed to have left for St Louis on Monday we began to wonder what Thanksgiving was going to hold. I had decided that we were going to just skip it all. I was just too tired to think of doing anything. Tuesday night we got the good news that in that they wanted to do two more CT scans, but that barring anything new he would be able to leave the hospital on Wednesday. Now that we were pretty much out of danger Steve and I decided that I should go home and see the other kids. Hannah was especially having a hard time. I got home and took a sleeping pill and finally slept after 3 days. Wednesday morning I got the call that I had been waiting for. The new CT scans showed that the muscles had finally relaxed and allowed the bones to go back into place. Seth was being released!
Steve decided that if I got everything ready before they got home that we could leave for St Louis that afternoon. Seth got permission to travel as long as he wore the neck brace in the car as a precaution against further muscle strain or damage.
(this is the exact brace that he wore. I am still working on getting the pictures off of my phone)
I don't remember much about the packing or driving there, but we were able to have a great Thanksgiving with my siblings and parents. I am not sure that I really have recovered. I have been tired ever since.
I am really really grateful for the way things turned out. Steve gave him a blessing in the hospital and was able to feel very confident that no matter what needed to happen that Seth would be fine in the end. The doctors were wonderful and thorough. I especially have to thank the most wonderful nurses on the planet. They made the whole thing bearable.
What a crazy adventure that life leads us on. I am hoping that we won't have that particular adventure ever again.

5 comments:

Steve V. said...

That is a GREAT picture of Seth...Who took that?

Tami said...

I LOVE the picture of Seth! He is such a cutie-pie! I'm so glad you still got to go to St. Louis, and I'm especially glad Seth is ok.

mle said...

We were all so glad that Seth was cleared and released without the need for traction. And what a happy weekend it turned out to be! I wonder if his favorite part was playing with Molly? ;)

Amy said...

I'm so glad everything turned out okay - what an ordeal to have to go through! Thank goodness for priesthood blessings and good doctors and nurses.

Cindy said...

Wow! Talk about excitement. I'm glad that everything worked out in the end and that Seth is doing well.